« Home | My Native Place: Orissa » | Party Time » | Paheli ???? » | HaPpY dAy!!! » | Stairway to Heaven » | My OWN Blog!!! » 

Saturday, October 01, 2005 

Rath Yatra: Orissa's Famous Festival

Rath Yatra
Puri offers a number of colourful fairs and festivals such as Chandan Yatra, Snan Yatra (Bath festival), Ganesh Puja, etc., but it is the Car Festival, an annual sojourn of the three deities riding their lofty chariots to their respective huge cars--14 metres high, 10 metres square and supported on 16 giant wheels, each over two metres in diametre that marks the climax. These chariots or Rathas are pulled along the Bada Danda or the Grand Road by lakhs of devotees to Gundicha temple over a kilometre. At Gundicha the deities take new apparels every day and after a lapse of 8 days return to the main shrine riding the same Rathas. At the termination of the Yatra, the cars are broken up into pieces and religious relics are made from them. Thus, every year new chariots are built. The images of the dieties are also disposed of at intervals of 8 to 19 years, depending on astrological calculations, and new images are installed as prescribed in the religious text. The Rath Yatra symbolizes Krishna's departure to Mathura from Gokul.

Rath yatra....... is one of the biggest festival of india and so many people come to get blessed..... i hope in future i'll get chance to see. it..

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
free car removal brisbane
cash for cars gympie

Hi, I am really glad I have found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossips and internet and this is actually irritating. A good site with interesting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this web site, I'll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.
car wreckers sydney
car disposals sydney

Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work.
cash for cars ipswich
cash for cars logan

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Santosh Jena
  • From Pune
My profile
Jena's Visitor Tracker - Since September 24, 2005

Powered by Blogger

CURRENT MOON
moon phase info


Locations of visitors to this page
Powered by Blogger
and Santosh kumar Jena